Everybody seems to have an opinion on Botox these days, but the truth is, many of those people don’t have the knowledge necessary to form an accurate opinion about this procedure. Botox is a drug that is made from a neurotoxin that is primarily used to treat muscular conditions as well as remove wrinkles from your face by paralyzing muscles on a temporary basis.
Facts about Botox
In order to make an informed decision about Botox, you must first learn some of the most important facts about it along with its primary uses.
- Botox is currently the most popular surgery treatment used on a cosmetic basis. More than six million treatments are given every single year.
- Botox is a neurotoxin that is created from Clostridium botulinum, which is found in a natural environment that is non-toxic and inactive.
- This neurotoxin is used to decrease the signs of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin by paralyzing muscles on a temporary basis.
- There are occasions where individuals use Botox to prevent excessive sweating and help with muscle disorders, bladder disorders, and migraines.
Side Effects and Risks
Although there are not many side effects that come with using Botox, there are a few that every consumer should be aware of before they make the decision to speak to their plastic surgeon about it. Most of these side effects are extremely rare and a very small percentage of individuals actually experience them.
- Blurred vision
- Weakness in the lower part of the eyelid
- Weakness in the neck
- Decreased eyesight
- Hives, rashes, wheezing, and swelling
- Drooping eyelids
- Symptoms like the flu or a cold
These are just a few of the potential side effects and they are all extremely rare. Talk to the team at CCLS about any of the concerns that you may have about the procedure itself. If you do not ask, then you will never be sure that this is the right procedure for you.
If you are considering having a Botox procedure performed on your skin, it is important to know advantages as well as the disadvantages. You should most definitely weigh out the pros and the cons before making a decision. This can be a very simple procedure but it is important to know all of the facts before you take the Botox plunge. Schedule a consultation with the Center for Cosmetic and Laser Surgery to learn more!