According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), liposuction is one of the top of cosmetic surgical procedures in America. In 2013 alone, some 200,000 people chose to undergo it. Although somewhat down from the previous years, the figures indicate liposuction in Naperville IL and across the country, remains a popular procedure.
Liposuction is referred in the medical profession under any of the following names:
- Liposculpture suction lipectomy
It is a form of cosmetic surgery. During the procedure, the cosmetic surgeon breaks up and “sucks” the fat from the targeted parts of the body using a cannula (a hollow medical instrument) to which a vacuum is attached. Liposuction may be performed on the:
- Arms – usually the upper portion
- Knee – inner
Whatever the focal point of the surgery, liposuction is usually performed as an outpatient procedure. The surgical office must be well-equipped. It can, however, be an actual physician’s office. You may also have it done at a hospital or other appropriately equipped medical facility.
Following the operation, you may return home. You will remain in the medical center over night only if the amount of fat removed through liposuction was significant.
While many cosmetic surgeons continue to use the basic technique, more modern methods have been found. They make the procedure less painful. The newer approaches have also decreased the risk level while making it easier to perform. Among the newer methods for liposuction adopted by professionals in Naperville IL and throughout the states, are:
- Tumescent liposuction: The surgeon uses a local anesthetic. He or she applies it the designated area of the body where the tube is to be inserted. Next the doctor may or may not give you an injection of a significant amount of an anesthetic solution into the fatty tissue.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction: The fat is liquefied using ultrasound. This makes it easier for the cosmetic surgeon to remove the fat.
- Laser-assisted liposuction: The surgeon still uses a cannula (a small one). However, low energy waves are used prior to the removal to liquefy the fat (thermal lipolysis).
Liposuction has a definite purpose. It sculpts the body, molding it into a slimmer and more contoured shape. In the past 30 years, methods have improved, making liposuction in Naperville IL safer, easier and less painful than ever before. As technology in this area continues to advance, the procedure can only get simpler and better.