What is a Chemical Peel?
A chemical peel can be done to improve the appearance of skin on the face, neck, or hands. A chemical solution will be applied to the skin that will cause it to exfoliate and later peel off. The new and regenerated skin will be smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
- Treats wrinkles caused by sun damage and aging
- Improves appearance of mild scars
- Improves the look and feel of your skin
- Minimizes age spots, freckles, and dark patches
- Treats acne
Types of Peels
Your aesthetician will consult with you prior to the procedure to go over any questions you may have. They will evaluate your skin and recommend the best facial treatment plan for skin type and skin expectations.
- Superficial: Alpha-hydroxy acid or other mild acid is used to target and exfoliate only the outermost layer of skin. This peel is often ideal for mild skin discoloration and rough skin. Your skin will heal for 1-7 days.
- Medium Peel: Glycolic or Trichloracetic acid is applied to penetrate middle layers of skin. This treatment will remove damaged skin cells and improve age spots, fine wrinkles, and moderate skin discoloration. This peel requires 7-14 days of healing.
- Deep Peel: Tricholoracetic acid or phenol is applied for deep penetration of middle layer skin. This peel will give the patient a dramatic improvement by removing damaged skin cells, moderate lines, age spots, and shallow scars. Your skin will heal for 14-21 days.
Post Chemical Peel
Treated skin will initially be red, scale, swell, or blister depending on the treatment you receive. All peels require some follow-up care and your aesthetician will advise you how to care for your skin with the help of lotions, ointments, and sunscreen.
Following a chemical peel, your skin will temporarily be more sensitive to the sun. You will be advised to limit sun exposure and to protect your skin with sunscreen above SPF 30 every day to protect against UVA and UVB sun rays. You may also want to wear a wide-brimmed hat especially if you will be out when the sun is at its highest points between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Are you experiencing fine lines under your eyes or around your mouth? Do you want to reduce the appearance of acne scars, wrinkles, or sagging skin? Refresh your face, neck, or hands with a chemical peel. Our experienced aestheticians are passionate about helping you achieve beautiful and healthy skin. Schedule an appointment at Infinity Medical Spa today by calling (630) 851-3223.